The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Reefer with Vintage HO-OO Decals

One recent project was completing this 36' reefer. It came to me about 50% done.

The body is Picard with their scribed sides, but modified a bit to take die cast reefer doors of uncertain manufacture (maybe Selley). It also had a modified Graceline frame mounted and was assembled. I added all the roof and end details, including using modified Famoco/Eastern ladders and hatches. It is riding on Schorr trucks and has Kadee whisker couplers; I plan to run this when I run 1930s era equipment on the layout.

For every car there is always the question of painting and lettering. For lettering I opted to use this vintage set of Champion HO/OO decals, as made clear by the package. I think these are all actually HO decals but Champ felt there was enough OO market going in the post-war era to sell for a good while their decals packaged as HO/OO decals.

It could use a few more small details and touches. But as I have mentioned elsewhere in this site, it is always interesting to me to see vintage cars such as this come to life. In this case the model was not even completed by the original builder but now it certainly has a sharp look.

No comments: