The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Problematic Drive Trucks

While I try to keep the thrust of my comments positive on vintage American OO products, any collector knows that they were products of their time and were not all well made. Those problems did discourage some people along the way to be sure and could discourage modern American OO gauge fans as well. A pre-war and a post-war drive will serve to illustrate.

First up is this pre-war Scale-Craft gas-electric drive truck. I have a gas-electric that is nearly through the shop (a rebuilding project) and it has the mounting there for this drive truck. It is missing the big gears and the upper drive shaft but is otherwise complete (someone before me took the gears off, but I found gears that would work).

Puzzling over it all though, in the end I have realized the way the shaft comes out the end of the drive truck it is not designed well to take curves. On the original you are to use a spring shaft or a big universal to connect the drive directly to the big, standard S-C Universal AC/DC motor. After the war they replaced this design with a drive truck that has a permag motor mounted directly on the drive truck. This is a much better design. Photos of both drives (click on them for a larger view) may be found at the end of this article.

In terms of the model I have, I now plan to install an Athearn based drive such as I have used on other gas-electric models, such as this one. I believe the model would at best run badly with the original drive truck.

The post-war example, in terms of problematic design, are these Schorr drive trucks. These are the original drive trucks for their great RS-2 model, a Japanese import and one of the last models introduced to the American OO market. The body looks great (see an example here), but the drive trucks are problematic.

These examples have both been modified somewhat I think by people who were trying to make them work. One in particular the gear tower has been removed and the truck modified for a belt drive. Combing parts of these two trucks I could certainly get one back the way it was shipped out, but even then the geometry is problematic. You would need to have very wide curves and use good universals to connect the motor to the truck and then the truck to the other drive truck under the floor.

Looking deeper, the mounting to the body is also problematic. No wonder people seem to have often put in different drives or built their Schorr RS-2 models as dummy models.

For vintage OO diesels the Kemtron-Lindsay drive and the Baker drive for OO are both better made; I have seen both fitted to these Schorr models. So modelers worked out the problems and got trains rolling, much as I recently worked out an Athearn-based drive for my powered RS-2, a model I am really enjoying on the layout.

No comments: