The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Update: My Nason sand-cast Pullman

Not long ago I posted about a car in progress, a Nason sand-cast Pullman. This model was one of the original models in the Nason line in 1934 and was one I have wanted to have an example of for some time.

And here is my finished model. All that is visible in this photo is pretty much the stock model, with the exception of the vents which are Famoco (OO) and Walthers (HO) parts. As noted in the earlier article, the floor, sides, and roof all came to me as loose parts. To those I added modified Selley ends and a good set of Nason trucks.

The "trouble" now is that I did not anticipate how much material I had to remove from the frame to allow for truck swing. I think it might presently take something like 48" radius curves. I don't think Nason was thinking you would run it on much less than 36" from the design. I would have to disassemble the car and remove a lot of material for it to run on my 28" curves, so I think this one is headed for a display case. Still a really fine model, I like the proportions and general look a lot. But I have plenty of Pullmans to run.

Eagle eyed readers who click on the photo will note that the name I chose is Rock Haven. As I also noted in the earlier article, this is to honor the early OO layout of Oscar Andresen. Hugh Nason and  Oscar Andresen were true pioneers and fathers of American OO gauge; this model is in appreciation of both.

No comments: