The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Update: Scale-Craft 0-6-0 Running Again

Back over three years ago I posted a brief article on the Scale-Craft OO 0-6-0 model, and the example used to illustrate the article was one I had been stalled with for rebuilding for some years.

But today it is running again! A big piece of the puzzle was finding the Oreland 4-6-0 in this article, which has the late style Scale-Craft motor wired to a modern rectifier. It took some time but I did figure out how to duplicate the installation, with the rectifier in the tender. The tender with the engine is the original tender. In the earlier article there is a stand-in with the locomotive, but in digging in the parts supply I noted that this tender was also number 78 and must have come to me with this engine. It had been shortened and the job was done neatly.

The Morris and Essex was a real railroad but this version was the freelance OO gauge road of George Crowley, who was very active in the North Jersey group, as was the builder of the Oreland engine Newton Guerin. The 0-6-0 model itself was given me by Bill Johann and he must have obtained it from Crowley or through another of his old New Jersey friends.

Back to my rebuilding, the tender was set up for Scale-Craft "banana plugs" and I found two sets of these in my parts supply, enough for this engine and another 0-6-0 in the shops still. That engine was lacking a weight and a few other parts, so I made a good copy of the weight with Cerrobend (and actually used the copy on this M&E engine) and have a tender finished for that second 0-6-0 as well.

As to the tender trucks, eagle eyed readers who click on the photo for a better view will note that they are Nason trucks. On the Oreland engine Guerin used Nason "square bolster" trucks with bronze sideframes. I think they are definitely the way to go -- bronze for conductivity and also to solder the wires on directly -- and I have set up this tender and the other 0-6-0 tender with these trucks and eight wheel pick up. I am not sure what Crowley actually used on it, however. My sense of what happened to the model is it was probably finished with a rectifier (probably an old style stack rectifier) but then he or someone else stripped the electrical equipment and the trucks from the tender before it got to me. Perhaps Crowley wanted to do the same conversion but did not get to finish it.

It runs very nicely and was worth the effort. It has a very realistic speed range and is smooth and quiet. I did have to use some light oil to get things loosened up in the motor/gearbox and will be sure to go back with something a little heavier when it shows signs of drying out again. And in the big picture I am excited that I have finally "cracked the code" and can set these vintage motors up to run on DC. Be looking for more in the coming years.

No comments: