The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Friday, December 7, 2012

A Difference of Decades, and Scales


These two models were completed decades apart by me. For a project underway I needed to pull up another set of sideframes from a HO scale AHM RS-2. This led me to dig out the engine in the back. While it looks the same generally due to the effect of perspective, actually the engine in front is a Schorr RS-2 in OO scale and the AHM HO model is in the rear.

I probably completed the HO model sometime around 1982, so it is (gasp) some 30 years old now. I put a bit of effort into it, as I modified the long hood slightly, built up new footboard areas, and made new handrails. The black lettering for the Orient is unique, it is the only model I lettered in this manner, all following models have large yellow lettering. I have been working with the Orient theme since late high school (more here).

The OO RS-2 is described further in this article. It was imported by Fred Schorr in the 1950s from Japan, and this particular one I also had to rebuild to a similar degree. The scale comparison is probably more interesting than the trip down memory lane, but it has been interesting digging this bit of personal model railroad history out again.


No comments: