The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Selley OO Scale Depressed Center Flat

One recent eBay purchase was this depressed center flat car. It caught my attention for several reasons.

First, it is a type of car you hardly see in American OO. I believe it is best to describe this as a Selley model but it is scratchbuilt as actually Selley only sold sides for this car, which these certainly are identical to as I own a pair that have never been built up into a car. However, some Selley parts are certainly Graceline based, so these may be the sides that would have been on a Graceline depressed center flat, a model I have never seen, and theoretically this could be a Graceline model. Anyone out there have one in kit form? UPDATE: More on the Graceline version here. This model is not Graceline I believe.

The car also caught my attention as it is on Schorr trucks and is lettered for the personal road of Fred Schorr, the Yorkville and Western. The General Electric signs are from a GE box of some sort, cut to fit the car next to the nice transformer load.

The car still needs a little cleaning/touch-up and the guy wires need redone but this is a nice example of an unusual item and will join my fleet of operational vintage cars.

No comments: