The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Two Versions of the Scale-Craft 4-8-4

Here is a locomotive I approve of! A few months ago I posted a review of the Scale-Craft 4-8-4, the largest die-cast steam locomotive ever offered in American OO. Dick Gresham has provided these photos that illustrate the differences between the prewar and postwar versions of this model. Due to the number of photos I will leave them small and stack them below. Click on any photo for a larger view.



The model in the photos above is the prewar version. Dick also sent three pictures of the bottoms of prewar and postwar locomotives. Besides having different frames (sand cast or built up) he explained in his message, “There are definite differences in the pilot and trailing trucks. There is a part number visible beginning with OOL on the postwar pilot truck.” Also he noted that “The prewar locomotive has an inclined drive shaft, while the postwar version has a horizontal drive shaft.”


What I lack in the parts of a locomotive in my original post are drivers. I also have a Scale-Craft 4-6-2, a recent eBay purchase, which lacks drivers and could use the same style of drivers. Any easy solutions would be welcomed to this problem. I expect in the end however that I will have to commission some drivers from a maker for both of these models.

No comments: