The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Friday, January 8, 2010

Five Locomotives from Morlok

As a follow-up before the Morlok auction this weekend, notes on five more locomotives I took photos of at his home in the late 1980s.

First up on the workbench we have a Schorr DL&W 4-6-0 camelback. There is a rundown of Schorr products in this post, and sometime soon I will post on the Ma & Pa 2-8-0, I have some photos on hand. For purposes of this post I will leave the photos small but click on any for a larger view.

The second photo is also on the workbench. This is a Guild SP 2-8-2. I mention the Guild of the Iron Horse in this post briefly, and this particular model may be seen in another view (with tender) in the second part of the article we wrote together in the April 1987 issue of the TCA Quarterly. Guild seems to have imported the models from Japan in the state seen here.

This third photo is also of a Guild engine, built up further by a prior owner and painted, a B&A 2-8-4. Now we are upstairs in his home. Note the big tender with Schorr trucks and also the HO scale engineer figure.

Finally, we are near another similar wall in the home for two last locomotives. In the back is a Lionel 4-6-4 that I suspect is a fine runner. It is lettered for the Saint Anne railroad, which was featured in Railroad Model Craftsman and I comment upon here. In the front we have what I only note on the photo as a "scratchbuilt 2-6-6-2." I wish I had a better view; I don't have any idea the builder but who would not want such a beautiful engine on display?

[One other random note, based on recent reading. There is a photo of a 4-6-6-4 kitbashed from two Lionel 4-6-4 models in the January, 1948 issue of Model Railroader, on page 60. Lettered for the Great Northern, it is not nearly as good looking as the above scratchbuilt articulated.]

At this point most of the photos I took during my all too brief visit with Ed have been posted to the blog. Good luck to all who can attend the auction tomorrow.

No comments: