The online magazine on the history and operation of vintage scale model trains in American OO gauge

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Scratchbuilding and American OO Scale

Kenn over at the OO list recently posted that he was starting a new scratch builders group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scratchbuildingtrains/

For me personally, I never have had the scratch building bug too deeply. I am much more interested in rebuilding items, which is a big part of the appeal of vintage American OO gauge equipment to me.

But I have scratch built a few cars over the years and certainly will  keep doing so. My favorite scratch built car is the one on top in the photo, which I made when I was a senior in high school way back in 1980. I probably should replace the S-C trucks with arch bar but that set of trucks came from Temple Nieter so there is a bit of sentimental value to them. (UPDATE: I did mount the car on better looking/rolling trucks rebuilt from PBL Sn3 parts, as seen in this article.)

The car on the bottom was purchased from Pierre Bourassa and is a nice one, also scratch built, I think by someone other than Pierre but I am not sure. The doors and ladders are S-C parts. The trucks on this are also S-C but with Bud Spice/Ultimate Screw Machine wheel sets. These can be spotted with their plastic centers and RP-25 nickel silver treads. Probably the best wheel sets made in OO, they were produced in the late 60s and 70s. (UPDATE: More on Ultimate wheelsets here).

No comments: